Monday, May 12, 2014

Sketchbook Skool

I signed up for Sketch book Skool with Danny Gregory. Every week we get new homework to do and they feature a new sketchbook artist. It has been a really wonderful experience since everyone doing the classes is very committed to doing the homework and sharing both successes and failures. Its all a learning process and by sharing both you come to trust the other people and you realize you are not being judged.

That is what I always loved about our group, it was a safe place for the students to paint, sketch and share. I enjoyed seeing everyone grow and improve with practice. I just hated being a nag. It has to be something you do because you love it. It has to be something you do because you have to. Once you feel like you need to do it you have to find the time and book your self time to be able to do something you love.

Time is always hard, its hard because we always sacrifice our own dreams so we can make sure we make everyone else's happen. We are always putting our things aside for their things. Its about finding time, we can all find time. There is plenty of wasted time everyday, pick 20 minutes of that wasted time and devote it to something that will live on.

This week Tommy Kane talks about spending lots of time doing his sketches. He spends at least 3-4 hours per sketch making sure he captures most details. Our homework is to sketch our kitchens and to spend at least 3 hours doing it. I have spend 2+ hours so far and I am not finished. I have to break it up into segments of time or I would never get it done! Here is my sketch so far, no paint yet, we have to draw it first, in pen then paint.
I am drawing with a gel pen, why I am not sure! I want to show the objects in the for ground as well as the objects in the back to create depth. Lots of work still to do.


Picking what part of my kitchen to paint was the biggest challenge as I have high ceilings and to capture it in a horizontal format was a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment